Get Cheap Home Insurance

Other Structures Coverage: Protecting the Structures Beyond Your Home

When it comes to homeowners insurance, it’s not just the main structure of your home that needs protection. There are often other structures on your property, such as detached garages, sheds, fences, or even a guesthouse. These structures can also be vulnerable to damage from perils like fire, vandalism, or severe weather. That’s where other structures coverage comes in. In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of other structures coverage, its importance, limitations, and how it can provide financial security for the structures beyond your home.

Understanding Other Structures Coverage

Other structures coverage, also known as Coverage B in homeowners insurance, is designed to protect the structures on your property that are not directly attached to your main dwelling. It typically covers repair or replacement costs for damages caused by covered perils, providing financial reimbursement to restore these structures to their pre-loss condition.

Key Points about Other Structures Coverage

To better understand other structures coverage, here are some key points to consider:

  1. Coverage Limit: Homeowners insurance policies allocate a specific percentage of the overall dwelling coverage limit to other structures coverage. For example, if your dwelling coverage limit is $300,000 and the other structures coverage is set at 10%, you would have $30,000 of coverage for your other structures. It’s important to review and adjust this limit as necessary to ensure it adequately reflects the value of your other structures.
  2. Covered Perils: Other structures coverage typically protects against a wide range of perils, similar to the perils covered under the dwelling coverage. These may include fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, vandalism, and more. However, it’s important to carefully review your policy to understand the specific perils covered and any exclusions that may apply.
  3. Limitations on Coverage: It’s crucial to be aware of any limitations on other structures coverage. Certain structures, such as swimming pools, might have limited coverage or may require additional endorsements or policies for comprehensive protection. Understanding these limitations will help you make informed decisions about additional coverage options if needed.
  4. Coverage for Detached Structures: Other structures coverage is specifically designed for structures that are not physically attached to your main dwelling. This includes detached garages, sheds, workshops, gazebos, fences, and more. However, structures that are attached to your home, such as a garage with a connecting door, are typically covered under the dwelling coverage.

Did You Know? Other structures coverage, which protects the structures on your property that are not directly attached to your main dwelling, is often referred to as Coverage B in homeowners insurance.

Frequently Asked Questions

No, other structures coverage generally does not protect landscaping or outdoor equipment. However, certain policies may offer limited coverage for landscaping in the event of damage caused by a covered peril. Outdoor equipment, such as lawnmowers or grills, would typically be covered under personal property coverage.

Yes, if the default coverage limit for other structures is not sufficient, you can request to increase the coverage limit on your homeowners insurance policy. It’s important to assess the value of your other structures and work with your insurance provider to determine the appropriate coverage limit.

Yes, detached garages are typically covered under other structures coverage. However, if your garage is connected to your main dwelling, it may be considered part of the main structure and covered under the dwelling coverage instead.

Flood damage is generally not covered under standard homeowners insurance policies, including other structures coverage. To protect against flood damage, you may need to consider purchasing a separate flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or a private insurance provider.

Other structures coverage is typically intended to cover existing structures. If you plan to construct new structures on your property, it’s important to consult with your insurance provider. They can guide you on any coverage limitations or the need for additional policies, such as builder’s risk insurance, during the construction process.

Yes, personal property inside detached structures is typically covered by homeowners insurance under the personal property coverage section of the policy. This means that belongings stored in a detached garage, shed, or other similar structures would generally be protected against covered perils, such as fire, theft, or vandalism. However, it’s important to review your specific policy to understand any limitations or exclusions that may apply to personal property coverage for detached structures. Additionally, high-value items or specialty belongings may have sublimits, so it’s advisable to consider scheduled personal property endorsements for adequate coverage in such cases.

The coverage for other structures, such as detached garages or sheds, can vary depending on your homeowners insurance policy. In most cases, other structures coverage is provided on an actual cash value (ACV) basis rather than a replacement cost basis.

Actual cash value takes into account the depreciation of the structures over time, meaning that the reimbursement amount would be based on their current value, considering factors like age and wear and tear. However, some insurance policies may offer an option to upgrade the coverage for other structures to a replacement cost basis. This would provide coverage to repair or replace the damaged structures without factoring in depreciation.

It’s important to review your policy or consult with your insurance provider to understand the specific terms and options available for other structures coverage. They can provide detailed information regarding the basis of coverage and any additional endorsements or options that may be available to suit your needs.

Yes, standard HO-3 homeowners insurance typically covers other structures on an open-peril basis. Under an HO-3 policy, the main dwelling is covered on an open-peril or all-risk basis, which means it provides coverage for all perils unless they are specifically excluded in the policy.

This open-peril coverage extends to other structures as well, including detached garages, sheds, fences, and similar structures on your property. These structures are typically covered against a wide range of perils, unless specifically excluded in the policy.

However, it’s important to carefully review your specific HO-3 policy to understand the perils that are covered and any exclusions that may apply. Some specific perils, such as floods or earthquakes, are often excluded from standard homeowners insurance policies. If you want coverage for these excluded perils, you may need to consider additional endorsements or separate policies to ensure comprehensive protection.

To have a clear understanding of the coverage provided for other structures under your HO-3 policy, it’s recommended to review your policy documents and consult with your insurance provider. They can provide specific details about the perils covered and any additional coverage options available to suit your needs.


Other structures coverage is a vital component of homeowners insurance, providing protection for structures beyond your main dwelling. By understanding the coverage limits, covered perils, and any limitations associated with other structures coverage, you can ensure that your detached garages, sheds, fences, and other structures are adequately protected. It’s important to review your policy, assess the value of your other structures, and make adjustments as necessary to maintain the appropriate coverage. By doing so, you can have peace of mind knowing that your property’s additional structures are safeguarded against unexpected events.

Leave a Comment